There still are plenty of fish in the high Sierra if you are simply fishing for dinner. Granted, if you are out for trophy fish it may be a bit harder now than 20 years ago. I did two Sierra trips last summer and caught as many fish as I wanted to eat; none were anything to brag about. Other areas, such as the Wind Rivers also have a lot of fishing if you know where to go. I do not recommend slashing rations if you are a beginning fisherman or if you go to a new area where you are unsure of the quality of fishing. Backpackers who do fish, usually plan their trip around the fishing.

Glen, I would call your method flexible, not over-packing. I sort of do the same thing, in that I will stay out an extra day if I have enough food, usually when the fishing has been exceptionally good. I give those at home an overly pessimistic date for my return, so I can be flexible.

Probably to the horror of avid fishermen, I am totally a "catch and eat"; never catch and release. I have no desire to sit at a lake and haul in 20 fish just for the sport. I stop fishing when I either: catch the legal limit, what I want to cook/eat, or when I just call it a day due to cold, hunger, tiredness or it is gets too late. Obviously I am not a serious fisherman. I only take minimal gear to fly fish- weighing about 10 oz including a small knife.