Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts

The tool I use most is a nail file; I'm always breaking or snagging a nail on something, so it gets used several times on a trip. Nail clippers get used occasionally, if I forget to trim my nails before I leave. (Trimming them never seems to prevent the chipped fingernails, though.)

A tip from the world of classical guitar...try a crystal (tempered glass) nail file. I keep the nails on my right hand slightly long, about 1/32" past the end of my fingertips, viewed from the palm side. I used to often break and chip them, but since I've been using the crystal file, about 7 months, I haven't broken a single one.

The theory, I guess, is that your nails are layered, and an ordinary file tears the end of the nail and encourages the layers to separate. The crystal file apparently doesn't do this.

They are breakable, though tougher than you'd imagine, so maybe not great for backpacking. They do make a small one, though. I got mine from Stringsbymail.com for about $10. It's apparently important to get the etched type, made in the Czech Republic. Also, they're said to last for years, and would make a good stocking-stuffer for a woman who keeps her nails long.