I recently decided to switch out my SAK Classic for a Gerber LST knife, Fiskars folding scissors, and Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper tweezers.

I was looking for a small nail file (probably the most-used tool on my SAK) and ran across a Revlon "multi-tool" at the local drug store: https://www.revlon.com/accessories-and-kits/kits/mens-series-8-in-1-multi-tool . For my fellow ultralighters and gear freaks, this would be a great stocking stuffer - though I'm not sure how practical in the field.

The nail file is very good (better than the SAK) and has a squared-off point (potential use as a screwdriver.) The scissors, tweezers, and toothpick are nearly identical to those on the SAK. The knife might be OK if it was sharpened (it won't even cut paper right out of the box), but is inferior to the SAK. The ruler is embossed on the small plastic case, and is 3 inches long. (I've never measured anything that I can remember.)The LED light might give enough light to help change batteries in your real light, but that's about it. The pen writes, but it's too short to hold conveniently in your hand.

The nail file is going into my first aid kit; the rest is going into my travel shaving kit, along with a pair of nail clippers with a built in file.

So, the more perceptive among you may ask, why are you moving away from the SAK? It's an experiment to see whether dedicated single-use items work better than the compromises inherent in mini-tools. (The LST knife is a lock-back and larger than the SAK - which folded back to cut my fingers when I was demonstrating how to make a fuzz-stick; the Fiskars scissors cut moleskin and everything else better than the SAK; etc.)

Ah, you say, but the individual items also weigh more in total than the SAK. Yes, about two ounces more. However, I also am going to use a Maglite Solitaire LED. (Hoping to avoid the 3-presses-and-hold-to-get-to-alternating-red-and-white-strobe-mode hassle. It also gives off enough light to hike at night, which I would only do in an emergency.) With it's single AAA battery, plus a spare battery, it weighs 2 ounces, which is 2 or 3 ounces less than my Petzl Zipka with its 3 AAA batteries and 3 spares. So, I save enough weight on the light to make up for the additional weight of the single-use items.

Like I say, it's an experiment. In the meantime, the Revlon kit is a great stocking stuffer for the ultralight hiker who makes your life miserable with all the "I saved another gram by weaving two strands of dental floss into a bear-bag rope" talk. smile