I agree 100 percent with you and Glenn.

I've posted my experiences on three forums, and received similar, if not exact, comments. And I do want to thank you for your input. I don't mind the criticism at all. I consider it very constructive.

I've changed the wording on what I call myself. In the back of my mind I had a feeling that Trail Guide was inappropriate to my level of experience. That being the case, rewording my title does not absolve me of the responsibility for which I've taken on.

I believe what I'm doing can best be described as a Group Leader. I enjoy taking people out for their first trip. However, the reality is that what I'm doing is introductory backpacking. I'm not teaching people how to section hike the AT for 4 days, for example. I do hikes like that with my college buddy.

There is still liability on the legal side for what I'm doing. I should clarify that I'm not doing this as a business. If you go to my website (shameless plug here), then you might note it is more of an online resource, and a hiking club. It is a pitch to join my hiking club, and all are welcome; experienced and newbies.

I do plan to get an umbrella policy. My insurance company has been pitching that to me since before I started taking people out into the wilderness.

Joining all of these forums has been great. I've learned a lot. I love the wilderness and I love teaching people. I'm going to keep doing this, but with a better idea and with better direction in precisely what I'm qualified to do.

I am trying to monetize my website, which I think will be pretty obvious to you should you visit it. But I should also clarify that the main reason I created it is because I love creating stuff, and I love to write.

I hope this places you at ease a bit. I would also welcome more feedback, both about what I'm doing, and regarding my website. I have not had someone provide a critical eye on my website. If you were to do that, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jerry

Edited by JerrySC13 (11/27/19 05:38 AM)

Please check out my website and blog: https://www.mountainblazers.com/