I truly appreciate all of the comments in response to my stories about becoming a trail guide. I laid bare the mistakes I made knowing I might receive some pointed responses. The goal for me is to get better at something I truly love doing; leading people, young and not-so-young, on their first adventure into the wilderness.

As I mentioned in part one, I thought my background meant I was prepared for this. I quickly learned that I was not.

The responses I received from three forums have provided me with some great ideas, and things I should have been doing from the start, which I will implement.

One thing I did not mention in my stories is that by September I had already implemented some of the suggestions I have received. For example, meeting at my house and physically showing me they possess the gear required. On my last three trips I took smaller groups, and planned routes with cross trails that could get us back to our vehicles earlier if something went terribly wrong.

I should clarify that I do not take anyone below the age of sixteen on these trips. Mostly in the range of eighteen and older. I’ll let The Scouts and similar organizations take out the younger crowd.

So thanks everyone! I should have joined these forums years ago. Better late than never, as the saying goes.

Please check out my website and blog: https://www.mountainblazers.com/