The polyester base layer that I wear under a non-breathable silnylon rain suit works fine to keep my skin away from the silnylon. I keep it on after removing the vapor barrier. Because it's body temperature, the base layer dries really fast from my body heat when the silnylon rain suit is removed--maybe 5-10 minutes.

I usually use Patagonia Capilene 2 but in really cold weather have used Capilene 4 ("expedition weight"). Any synthetic fabric (which absorbs less moisture than wool) will do. The heavier weight base layer still dries in 10 minutes, even faster if I'm doing my "cold morning getting warm" dance. It helps if I've kept my hiking clothing inside my sleeping bag (in a plastic bag if damp) so that it's also body temp when I put it on.

If I need extra insulation at night, it goes on over the rain suit. There have been some 10*F/-12*C nights in which I have worn everything I own inside my 20*F/-7*C sleeping bag, and not changed into my hiking shirt and pants until well after sunrise. Here in the US Pacific NW, that's about as cold as it ever gets ( if colder, I stay home).

Whatever you use inside the vapor barrier will need to be dried every day. If the lining is attached to (or part of) the vapor barrier, the drying process will take quite a bit longer. If the temp stays below freezing, the lining will freeze when you take it off and stay that way. That's why I suggest two separate layers, the inner of which doubles as your base layer.

You'll have to experiment to see what works for you in the conditions you'll be in (presumably far colder than here in the Pacific NW, especially if you go out in winter).

Edit--Sorry, I forgot you're a Canadian neighbor, and you shouldn't have to convert our antiquated Fahrenheit scale!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/21/19 04:51 PM)
Edit Reason: convert temps to Celcius