Well, when I first started backpacking, I had 2 little kids and a mortgage - so I couldn't afford to be a "color snob." smile Sure, my preference was always muted colors (except for an orange hat in hunting season) - but I wasn't going to stay home because the only pack I could afford was bright red.

Later, with the kids and the mortgage gone, I did give more weight to choosing subtler colors. (At one point, I was threatened with the trail name "Amish" because of my predominantly black and grey clothing and gear. The best compliment I ever got was when I stepped off the trail and startled an oncoming hiker when I said hello - she didn't see me because I blended into the brush and trees, and I wasn't even wearing camo.) However, I still used my red Hubba tent with the grey fly, just because it was such a great tent; I'd have used it if it was striped purple and yellow. (I did replace it with green, when that option became available.)

Now, I've found my own version of Nirvana: really good gear, all of which is subdued: green tent with grey fly, grey pack, gray and subtle blue clothing, gray pad and sleeping bag, etc. I far prefer it, and think that the manufacturers are getting the message - although Osprey still manages to come up with creatively colorful packs that make me wonder, and MSR is back to red body as the only Hubba option...