Does your "cuin" designation mean "fill power" of each down. ((for example,900 down is 90% down vs feathers) Weight of the down alone differs depending on fill power. Goose down is the most expensive and the "gold standard" of down. Duck down is a lot less pricey- never had it but I hear it does smell a bit more and the loft does not last as long. They now have down treated with a waterproofing, so there still is some loft when wet. You did not say what kind of down in each jacket. Another big consideration is the baffle construction. Overlapping baffles are warmer than sewn through baffles. Small construction details also make a difference, such as how the cuff closures on the arms, size of zipper baffle on the front. And hood design is also a factor in warmth. The denier of the fabric will also impact the "breathability" of the jacket. So there are a lot of other factors than weight and fill-power.

My husband has a North Face Expedition jacket that he actually uses with an elephant's foot instead of a sleeping bag. I am very envious when he simply wears it on cold mornings and I have to crawl out of my cozy down sleeping bag. You may want to consider this sleep system- your jacket doubles for sleeping and sitting up. By the way- down jackets around sparks of a campfire = potential damage. Be careful! Always have a few stick-on nylon patches so you can plug those holes.

In considering cost, it depends on how much you use the jacket. If it is your main jacket and you will use it for years, I think a moderate difference in price should not be a factor. Just get the best. I have often choked on the price of an item, but once used, never regretted it.

Is Mountain Equipment MEC (the Canadian equivalent to REI?) IF so their brand stuff is reliable quality.

What you call "weird square baffles" that you do not like may actually be warmer than others. I would not get hung up on looks or color. We who choose discount priced jackets often have to put up with less favorite colors.

You may be competing with Glen as far as who owns more backpack equipment! LOL.