Some companies expand their lines by acquiring other companies. MSR, for example, didn’t just start making tents: they bought Moss tent company, re-labeled the products as MSR tents, and then let the old Moss team continue to update and improve the line. (I think there may still be some or the original Moss folks at MSR, though they are probably rapidly aging out of the workforce.) MSRs trekking poles trace their origins to Tracks (who came up with the push-button feature.)

MSR is owned by a company called Cascade Designs. At some point, CD bought Tracks, kept the Tracks brand going for a while, then consolidated it into the MSR line. CD also bought Thermarest, and never consolidated them into MSR. (Like you, I’m completely baffled as to why they are starting their own tent line. Maybe that’s where they’re going to get the car-camping market?) CD also bought Platypus; the Platypus filter is identical to the MSR Autoflow (except for the brand on the label; my guess is they told MSR to label some as Platypus, so they could offer a “complete water solution” under the Platypus label.

Sometimes, these decisions turn out well. Other times, not so much. (Remember the old North Face? They left the market, and are now trying to re-enter it, with mixed success.)

I think “mainline” companies are also expanding their lines to compete with all the excellent “cottage” manufacturers (Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, etc.) and former cottage manufacturers (Z-Packs?) who are starting to take market share from them. I also believe the reason they’re taking the market share is the quality of their products.

In the end, all you can do is look at the quality of the product, ignore who made it, and buy what works best for you.