I carry a small piece of the self-sticking ripstop tape and 18” of duct tape wrapped around my hiking pole. I don’t take zip-ties or glue but I have a small sewing kit that gets used. I also take a few safety pins ever since a total zipper failure on my pants.

I make a fair number of long trips in western wilderness so I often take a spare pinchlight and spare coin cells for my headlamp. I also carry an aggressive fire starter for those times “you absolutely, positively must have a fire”. I always carry a backup BIC lighter too. I have been using my current primary BIC Mini for over ten years -very reliable.

On the longer trips, one to three weeks, I will take a small external charger for my cell phone and Inreach. I use the phone for evening music, as a camera and as a keyboard for my Inreach, otherwise it’s off. I use the Inreach to stay in touch with my family. There are GPS chips on both phone and Inreach if needed. My main navigation is with map and compass and has been for seventy years: I never go without them.

I take a small toothbrush, dental floss and a small container of tooth powder.

My first aid kit is pretty simple: assorted-sized bandaids, gauze pads, a blister needle and a fresh scalpel blade and some medications. A lot of my gear can be repurposed for first aid use if necessary and I can call for help using my Inreach if needed. I do carry an Ace Bandage.

For TP, I use small (about 5” x 5”) squares of mechanics bench towels. They can be moistened without falling apart and are both soft and tough. You can get them at any auto supply store. They are pretty light. Be sure to “pack it out”.

Other than the power supply, most all of the above go with me on any trip. It is all in the “better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it” category in my mind.

Edited by Pika (02/16/19 08:51 AM)