I only use maps. Because I hike in mountains, mostly above timber, I can see landmarks very well, therefore, I quit taking a compass years ago. I take a combination of the original USGS 7.5 minute topos and printed ones using the old TOPO program. I have used maps forever. Trained as a geologist, I am really good at maps and do not need a GPS.

My husband, who really has trouble reading maps, uses a GPS. It has been a real breakthrough for him. He likes gadgets, and now will get out the GPS and use it a lot and has become much more aware of his surroundings. For him, the GPS makes total sense.

We have games; when camped off trails, who can find our way back to camp faster. So far I can beat the GPS. But there have been a few times when I got turned around and his GPS saved us some extra miles. Even when I do get turned around, I eventually find my way.

If I were to backpack in deep forests or lands that have no distinct features, I would use a GPS.

The only celestial navigation I do is pay attention to my shadow so I know which way is north, and at night always find the north star.

Part of navigation is to know how far you go. Therefore, I take a watch and remember how long I walked between rest breaks. I always check where I am on my map at each rest break. With experience, you can get pretty good at estimating travel distance from time.

One reason people get messed up when lost is that they panic, and then the perception of time gets all messed up. You frantically walk thinking it has been an hour and it is only 10 minutes! This points to the best navigation tool you have- your brain. Stay cool and calm when things go bad.