Wandering through REI is no longer relevant to what I see on the trail. REI carries standard brand gear, and the lighter models (light but not UL) are still available at REI, but on their internet site. What you see in the store is not a good sample of what is available.
It has been a while since REI marketed to the serious backpacking people. It is all about $$; profits and what sells the best. The UL backpackers have primarily gone to the cottage industry internet sales.

A lot of people simply cannot afford UL gear given that they may only backpack once or twice a year. I think it is great that they still go out, even with that heavy gear. The UL market is really a tiny part of the whole outdoor market.I would say that 90% of what is bought at REI never hits the trail.

Seriously, I think if the moderators would put in a few short words so that the most recent posts are not so old, it may help.

By the way, I personally do not want to be UL. I have gone lighter, deleted stuff, added some back, and have come to a good compromise that suits me. There are some UL items I would love to have, but even though I could afford it, I simply will not pay that much. $800 for a single person tent? No way. Hundreds of dollars for a pound less is not worth it to me.

I do see the more affluent younger backpackers willing to pay a lot for the latest, new trendy stuff, including $800 tents and very fashionable clothing.