I am the opposite of OM! I want bright colors so I do not leave stuff behind. I even left my purple spork on a rock my last trip. I guess I will have to paint the handle of my gray one hunter orange. Stuff sacks, the brighter the better. My outer layer, bright so SAR can find my body easily when I walk off a cliff.

And for fashion- hardly care. I look really stupid, but I always tie a kerchief over my hair and then on top of that put a baseball cap (current on is purple, because it fit). I hike in Walmart garden gloves- usually hideous pink flowers on them. I like baggy pants in thighs but hate the swish-swish of pant leg when I walk. Therefore, I always wear knee high gaiters.

I AM with OM when it comes to low rise pants. I hate them! I am skinny, butt is decreasing with age, and by the end of a trip they are literally falling off. In fact am frustrated that every pants I own are at least 2 inches too large in the waist. TO keep the pants up I clip a purple carabiner between the two front belt loops.

I like oversized long sleeve shirts, fishing type with big bellow pockets preferred. I have about every color, because I always buy what is on sale.

I will admit that I hate fire-engine red. My color vision is very red-sensitive. Yet, I do have several items of this color.

My tent is orange. I like to be able to find it at the end of a day-hike.

I am well past the age where I care what I look like, and I just want gear that works well. If it looks good, fine, but also will buy a functional item on sale regardless of color.

Occasionally, I will use my "prototype" pack- an old Kelty frame with a bag I have sewn out of old stuff sacks of many colors. That usually gets some surprised looks when I meet people on the trail.

Right now I am hiking with unmatched trekking poles. One REI carbon pole, and one old aluminum Leiki. I broke one of my new REI carbon poles this summer.

But seriously, I have met backpackers on the trail who look a whole lot worse than me! Met a fellow this summer in Wyoming, who I swear was homeless, smelled like it too. He had a few screws loose too. Very odd fellow.