Thanks, Mouse. The fundamental precaution we take with our beginner trips is to pick spots where we don’t reasonably expect there can be repercussions. We have three main locations we use; one is a larger MetroParks, and the other two are state parks. All are bounded by roads, and have an interior road system leading to picnic and camping areas. They’re also patrolled. It’s not a true backcountry experience, but for people who have never spent a night in the woods, it’s a good starting place. Then they can go on to intermediate trips, in USFS areas that are more remote and “wild.”

I’m going to copy your other tip into mine, just so they’ll all be in one place.

It’s fairly hard for things to go badly wrong in the Ohio-Indiana-Kentucky area where I hike; the wild areas aren’t that big, and the trails are well-established and regularly walked. However, we do seem to have a few fatalities every year (yes, alcohol and ridgetops are involved in most of them, and there is the occasional heart attack.) I guess the relative safety is one of the benefits (and penalties) of hiking close to home in the East.