It's taking unnecessary clothing changes that adds to the unnecessary weight. I take an extra pair of clean socks and that's the only clean clothing I take. At the end of the day, I rinse out the pair of socks I've been wearing. They normally are dry (or at least clean and only slightly damp) by the end of the next day. If it appears that the trip will be cold and wet (shoulder season), I may take a third pair of socks, that I keep dry for sleeping.

My rule on clothing is to take only what I need to keep comfortably warm and dry, during the worst conditions that can be expected out there. while wearing it all at the same time,. That would be maybe 5 degrees above the record low for that month. Plus, of course, those spare socks!

It is good to have lighter choices, when available, assuming they are equal in function and don't break the bank. I get more use out of my insulating clothing by using it as regular winter wear at home (of course, Oregon has relatively mild, although a bit wet, winters, If I lived in the Midwest or northern Rockies, my backpacking insulation would be fall and spring clothing, but it wouldn't do for -30*F winter days!

All other clean clothing, along with a package of wet wipes, stays in my car at the trailhead for me to change into for the drive home. I do sponge off critical areas in my tent at bedtime, which reduces the funk quite a bit.

I have been known to rinse out my undies every few days and let them dry on my body, which takes less than an hour on a warm dry day, since the undies are of quick-drying fabric.

After all, your fellow hikers will be similarly grungy!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/01/18 03:32 PM)