I think all of us tend to temper our Luddite leanings with a dose of reality. I still have fond memories of using a typewriter - but no way am I giving up my laptop!

Also, most of us will change, when there’s no alternative. (We don’t have to like it, though, and after 65 I believe we are legally required to grouse about it as we drive in the left hand lane at 45mph with our left turn signals on.)

All in all, I tend to fall into Carly Simon’s camp: “These are the good old days.” However, when backpacking, I usually try to draw the line at smart devices that, if they fail or run out of power, could leave me looking pretty stupid. At some point, though, I may be forced to convert to app navigation - I think the USGS has already discontinued mass distribution of its topo series (at least, I haven’t seen them at REI or my local store - the National Geographic series seem to have replaced them, at least for now.)

Eventually, I’m sure paper maps will go away entirely. I think that’s usually known as progress - as someone else pointed out, it eliminates the eco-impact of manufacturing paper. It also means we don’t need to manufacture ink, and any water-resisting chemicals used to treat them (not to mention the impact of transporting them, displaying them, and of the bags REI defaults to giving you to carry them home. It might even save some of the gallon ziplocks we use as map cases.)

Until then, I’ll probably continue to indulge my map fetish. smile