I haven't used it much yet, but so far so good. I've made half a dozen packs of more or less similar design over the years, and haven't had any failures. I've tried different variations, but mostly the aluminum stays in a "V" configuration with load lifters. The first pack I made was frameless, and I attached the shoulder straps too low...pretty uncomfortable even though it had a hipbelt. I also made a Ray-Way style pack, and it worked pretty well, but I have trouble getting my weight down to the point where it needs to be for that kind of pack to work.

I forgot to mention that the shape of the shoulder straps may affect the placement angle. I've tried both straight and S-shaped straps, and the 60-degree angle works for both for me, but I'm pretty skinny. It might be different for someone with broader shoulders.

One thing that I think is kind of important is to make sure the buckle at the lower end of the shoulder strap doesn't extend past the padding. That way it can't gouge your side. You can also put the buckle where the strap attaches to the lower corner of the pack, Ray-Way style. That works fine, but takes some getting used to.