Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Nice taste - that’s some pretty territory. Who ended up with a lizard in their pack, and who put it there?

The big question: did you like it enough that you’ll need to hide the credit card bill from a spouse while you replace your gear (starting with that sleeping bag)? smile

laugh There were no lizards in packs this time. We were all well behaved.

The bag actually isn't as bad as it looks. It is a down bag, just not the lightest down bag. The bigger issue is that it was hard to keep it in any kind of reasonable shape and size packed into that large garbage bag. What I should have done was put the garbage bag inside the stuff sack the sleeping bag came with. This would have waterproofed it and protected the garbage bag from limbs and cactus and anything else trying to rip holes in it. But, I packed in a hurry, haphazardly, and didn't have time to think everything through.

Incidentally, in one of my pre-trip posts, I alluded to making some gear for this trip. The pack is homemade. It's about perfect for warm weather overnights like we did on this trip, but the sleeping bag didn't fit well down in the bottom. I brought a bigger pack, but last minute decided to use the smaller one with the bag strapped on top, and I hadn't brought the stuff sack.

I do hope to eventually replace the sleeping bag with something lighter and smaller, but to do it, I may have to make some kind of trade... or start plucking geese.