I’ve used both, in windbreaker and rain jacket versions - though with the advent of lightweight, waterproof jackets (like the Outdoor Research Helium jacket), I now let one garment serve two purposes. I hike in the Ohio River Valley (southern Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana), so I’m very familiar with hot and humid (“90” can refer to both the heat and humidity on any summer day.) You’re going to get warm and wet, regardless of what you wear.

With GoreTex and other pre-Pertex fabrics, I really didn’t notice much difference in venting because, even with a zipper and pit zips, I still overheated and ended up wet, just not from the rain. Pertex really seems to work for me; I can hike at a moderate pace in cooler weather and not overheat most of the time.

I tend, nowadays, to prefer zippered garments for one simple reason: in windy conditions (like when you want a windbreaker), pullovers are harder to put on; when they’re wet (after the rain stops), pullovers are hard to take off without getting your clothing wet. I do realize this may be user-error rather than garment design, but I don’t think so.