I qualify as an old timer. I'm 63 and took my first hike at age 3 according to my parents. I switched first from all-leather hiking boots to lightweight mid-height boots with mesh uppers and found this was a great improvement in terms of keeping my feet from blistering and lessening fatigue. Then I tried out trail-running shoes and liked them even better. I wear trail shoes exclusively now.

I avoid buying shoes that have "waterproof breathable" linings. This works best for me. The breathable liners don't breathe nearly as well as plain mesh. Plain mesh dries out *much* faster, for example when I wear my shoes during stream crossings. If prolonged rain is a possibility I bring waterproof neoprene socks I can wear inside my shoes.

The main problem with open mesh uppers is the dust filtering into my shoes, so that I must wash my feet every afternoon when I reach camp. The mesh also doesn't last as long as leather boots. I accept that in return for *no blisters* and much less weight on my feet at every step. That seems like a fair trade-off to me.