Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I plan to keep some stuff, although I'm no longer up to long trips. I'm hoping to do a little backpacking still, but it's going to be just a few miles on good trails, and then base camping. Plus more car camping, for which I'll use the same gear, plus a few add-ons.

Unfortunately, old age at this point is not creeping, it's galloping. Ugh.

I can certainly relate. It seems to change overnight. I am 78 and things have changed a lot in the last few years. I still do some short backpacking trips but the distance is much less. I just got back from a trip which I thought I would like to do again. In the past I did this trip in about 2 1/2 days but this time it was five and a guy on an ATV gave me a ride for the last few miles. This was on a poorly marked and overgrown trail which was worse than it had been in the past but it still was a struggle.

In the last couple of years I have been parking my truck near the trail, going one direction for few hours and then turning around and coming back to sleep and cook at the truck. The next day I do the same thing the other direction. Beats watching TV.