As I've aged my feet have become wider. Any thru-hiker or regular sandal wearer typically experience a similar issue. Unfortunately Brooks doesn't make the Cascadia in a wide version. So I tried the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 and it was pretty good as far as width and my feet soon adjusted to the zero drop. It was fine for everyday use and non-technical hikes. I wasn't so happy with it on rough trails and bushwhacking explorations, leaving my feet feeling a bit beat-up. I also felt like the upper stretched out a bit with use as the fit became loose over time.

So I tried the Salomon Ultra 3 (non-GTX) in wide and it is darn near perfect for me. It feels more stable than the Altra, fits my wide foot with high arch very well and is snug in the heel. I wasn't sure I would like the speed lace, but I actually like it better than trad laces. The rock plate does the trick and my feet feel great after a full day of rocky trails. The firm edges work well on side-hill bushwhacks. I should probably buy a few pair before they change it!

As for the sole drop versus zero drop, I think it really depends on the user. After a few days of wearing the Altras they felt fine. I would switch back and forth between Cascadias and Altras with no ill effect. But once I got the Salomons, the Altras live in the closet.

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA