I have hiked in a Capilene 2 shirt (long sleeve) for years, no problems (in fact, it's the same shirt since 2007). That may be due to my being female and wearing a woman's shirt. However, regardless of gender, everyone's body is a bit different.

There are a number of other brands of synthetic base layer shirts around; I suggest getting thee to stores and trying on different brands! Don't neglect the athletic departments of big box stores, where you may find what you need for a lot cheaper than Patagucci! (I like Patagonia because of its conservation stance, butI would ditch my shirt in an instant if I had your problems.) Amazon has pages and pages of men's base layer shirts, but of course you can't see the seams without ordering.

The time I went off for a family backpacking trip leaving behind the clothes I planned to wear when hiking, my son loaned me an Under Armor shirt. That worked just fine.

I ike merino wool for base layers, but when it's exposed, it doesn't wear nearly as well as synthetic--which makes it even more expensive! And, as Glenn mentions, in Ohio humidity, just the thought of wool is enough to produce a third degree burn! (I just returned from a family wedding back there)

Edited by OregonMouse (06/07/18 05:41 PM)