Originally Posted By OregonMouse
My backpack has a roll top, which I really like, but the closure is velcro, which I detest. I appreciate being able to adjust the pack to the volume of what's inside, especially since that changes over the course of a trip as I eat up the food. But the velcro closure keeps snagging Items going in and out of the pack. I've spent some thought on how to replace the velcro dry-bag style closure with a similar closure not having velcro, but never actually got to the point of doing something about it. My latest thought is to get a safety razor and shave off the sticky side.

Pack lids are the first thing I want to remove to make the pack lighter. And no closure is completely waterproof.

My pack has outside mesh pockets, big enough that I very rarely need to access the pack interior during the day.

I believe this thread demonstrates how each us has different ideas of how we want our packs to look. So the answer to the OP's question is YMMV and HYOH!

Thats odd...My Mountain Hardware Scrambler RT35 Outdry backpack does not have Velcro on the rolltop. By the way, how many different ways can you close your rolltop? I can buckle it closed in at least three different configurations. 1) Roll down and buckle together towards the front (I never do this as the buckles would probably dig into my neck when I'm walking). 2) Roll down and buckle together towards the back (I rarely do this as it just looks silly to me). 3) Roll down and buckle down to the two matching side straps which come up from the bottom of the pack on each side...This is not only the neatest looking option, but it also allows you to cinch down the top of the pack to make it even neater looking and remove any dead space inside.