In 2002 I bought a completely off-brand backpack for about $45. Before purchasing it I examined the materials, fit and finish very thoroughly. It was well-made, large enough for the purpose I intended and felt very comfortable.

It was heavier than I wished, but I modified it at home, removed some excess weight, did some hand-sewing to facilitate the modifications. I subsequently used it to hike a 210 mile section of the PCT. It held up fine to the loads I carried and did everything it needed to do.

Since then I purchased a better pack that was a pound lighter, but I still use that older pack frequently on conditioning hikes and on occasions when I need to be the "pack mule" for heavier loads than I normally carry. It is the most comfortable backpack I own and has seen close to 1000 miles of use without any issues.

Brands are not backpacks. You do not put your gear into a brand name or carry a brand name on the trail, except in the most trivial sense. What matters is the pack itself, how it fits your body, how it feels under a load, how well it is designed, how well it is made, and how well it meets your needs.

Off brands are usually not as well made as reputable brand name products, but the name is never the issue. You can see and feel quality and if it is there, it is there. If not, not. The name attached to it means very little by comparison.