I may have missed something, but are you talking about a backpacking trip? If not, the weight is not a factor. Regardless a puffy jacket should be puffy!

If the quilting stitch goes through from front to back, then that is a place where cold will seep through. If it instead is quilted on both sides, so that the seams do not lie on top of each other, then OK.

A baffel stitch system has less cold spots, particularly if they offset the inside and outside stitches so the baffles overlap.

If you are going to be in a cold-dry climate, then down OK. If wet-cold, then you need either the newer down that is treated to be waterproof (I think they call it DryDown) or a synthetic. Regular down will become useless in repeated moist humid cold conditions.

Down gives a more "instant" warmth feel and contours around you closer, with a less drafty feel. Down gives more warmth per weight than synthetics.

A synthetic that is in little balls will mimic down's ability to contour to your body. A synthetic that comes in a sheet will not. Once you initally warm up a synthetic jacket, this is less of an issue, Down compresses more, and this is critical for backpacking, not so much a problem if on a horse-packing trip or fly-in base camp.

There are some quite sufficient "puffer" jackets sold at regular stores, such as Macy's and Target. Unfortunately, this is not the season that these stores carry these items. I bought one puffer at Macys and one at Target, each weighing about 7-8 oz with 600-down (60% down, 40%feathers), each on sale for $50. I also have a high end down sweater, 4 oz. 800-down that cost $120 on sale (an outrageous $200 list). The warmth and loft is about the same for all three. I use the heavier cheaper jackets for shorter trips when my pack is not as heavy and save the high end one for long trips when I have to really cut weight due to all the food carried.

Also, if you are going to bushwhack in this jacket you need to have a sturdy outer fabric or wear a sturdy outer layer.

Have you checked Sportsman's Warehouse? Thier clothing seems to be for really big people. I can never find anything that fits me.

Edited by wandering_daisy (04/21/18 04:05 PM)