Originally Posted By OregonMouse

For real cooking, as opposed to boiling water, aluminum is definitely superior to titanium--I've used both, and have found uneven heat, with spots of sticking/burning and other spots practically raw, a big problem when trying to cook with titanium.

I have encountered the "hot spot" problem too when trying to cook in my Ti pots, but I put that down to the fact my ultralight BRS3000T canister stove has a very narrow area of flame, which is directly under the centre of the pot above. If I could somehow widen the area of that stoves flame to cover the entire bottom of the pot then the hot spot problem would disappear, and cooking in my Ti pots would become easy rather than a chore. How or if I could even modify the diameter of the flame area on the BRS I am still not sure...I may attempt it at some point but in the meanwhile I may have found another solution...An even lighter stove! I bought the Esbit ST11.5-Ti, solid fuel Titanium folding stove yesterday, that uses smokeless , sootless, Hexamine tablets/cubes, that apparently work better at high altitudes than canister stoves. It is currently the lightest Titanium stove in the world, weighing in at just 11g (0.4oz)! The tablet holder is designed to take Esbits own rectangular shaped tablets, but I found these to be fairly expensive, so I went for cheaper Striker brand ones instead, which are circular and had good reviews (Apparently Esbits own tablets smell of fish and they crumble easily whereas the Striker ones do neither). Apparently you can fit 9 of the Striker tablets in an old airtight Berocca tube, which takes up a lot less space than a gas canister and will be lighter too. So why do I think this may be a solution to the hot spot problem? Well firstly, it is because the Hexamine tablets burn at a much lower temperature than Butane gas. Of course this means that it takes longer to boil water with Hexamine tablet stoves than it does with canister stoves (at least 7 minutes to boil 500ml of water, compared to about 2 minutes with my BRS), but this gentler heat should help eliminate the hot spot problem...The Tablets have a wider flame area than canister stoves like my BRS do too, which should also help. It can also be used along with my ultralight DoCooler (18.1g) Ti windshield, and this should help reduce the boiling/cooking time a little and reduce cooling at the sides of the pot which can cause hot spots to form underneath, by reflecting heat back towards the pot.
I will let you know if it works after it arrives and I have had some time to play with it.

Edited by Alf (04/18/18 06:03 AM)