Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I agree the OM about sleeping bags. I think if you have a good sleeping bag that has worked well, in the location that you backpack, then stick with it. For me, the sleeping bag is my last line of defense agianst hypothermia. A little "more" than needed is OK. Those temperature ratings assume you are well fed and healthy. A few times I have been less than well fed or had some kind of bug. Being able to set up a good shelter, hop in a good sleeping bag and lay low until weather or illness passes is a good safety measure. Same as OM, I have NEVER regretted my over-done bag (5-degreeF rating).

I have said this before, but water can be heaviest item you carry. Simply reducing the need to carry as much water will save a lot, and it is not that expensive. Do you really need a water filter? Some really do; others can get by with chemical treatment tabs. When I carry a filter of any kind, I pump water at water encountered, and thus, carry little between. When I use purification tablets, I consider these as just a means to reduce the risk, not eliminate it. I carry 1 L water maximum, and drink raw water from sources if that turns out to be insufficient. Not advocating this, since I seem to have an iron stomach and never have gotten sick from this; others may not do as well. A little more consideration of water, how much you carry and how you purify it may be useful. Do you use a hydration bladder? How much does that weigh? Is taking a pack off to get a drink of water really that much of a chore? Do you really need bombproof water bottles rather than used bottled water bottles.

I only discovered the Sawyer Mini water filter about a week ago. It is smaller and lighter than Bills old Sawyer Squeeze, yet it can still filter up to 100,000 gallons like the Squeeze. I only received it a couple of days ago so I haven't actually used it yet but I have seen several videos on how to use it on youtube. From what I have learnt from these videos is that whilst the Sawyer Mini will filter out virtually all harmful bacteria and protazoa, it won't remove toxic heavy metals, chemicals or improve the flavour of the water. Some have resorted to home brewing an inline activated charcoal filter, which deals with the latter issues. What I can't understand is why Sawyer themselves do not sell an optional activated charcoal filter for the mini??? I am sure it would sell like hotcakes if they did so they seriously missing a trick here. I have ended up buying several adapters that Sawyer sell and I am hoping they will help me make my own ACF when they arrive.