I'd take the boots back and get a pair of supportive trail runners instead. (You may need to visit a good running shoe store.) It's far easier to get them to fit your feet. Since I switched from boots to trail runners (10 years ago now), I've never had a blister or a hot spot! One of the reasons is far better fit; the other is no GoreTex liner, which turns the footwear into a sauna, thus promoting blisters. Having lighter weight footwear means more comfort on the trail, too (1 lb. on the feet is the equivalent of 5 lbs. on your back, according to the US Army).

Even if you really want ankle-top footwear, look for something that contours to your feet, not the other way around. There are lots of comfortable hiking boots these days. I gave up on boots because it's impossible to find women's hiking boots that do not have the GoreTex lining, which really did a number on my feet. Also,when the Goretex lined boots got wet inside, they took several days to dry. My trail runners can be walked dry in a couple of hours. Merino wool socks (which feel dry even if damp) help, too. I found that trail runners with pronation control supported my ankles better than any boots--at the start I tried deliberately to turn my ankles but couldn't!

Footwear should not need to be broken in! It should fit right from the start. The "breaking in" process is really trying to break your foot to the shoe, which is very bad for your feet and absolutely unnecessary.

As a beginner, you have obviously become the victim of old-time folklore regarding hiking footwear! Please get rid of the boots (and the idea that footwear needs to be "broken in") and get something comfortable!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/09/18 07:49 PM)