I haven't owned either of these, so can't comment specifically. I'm confused by your "over 3lbs lighter" remark, though. From their respective web sites, the Salomon are 2.3lbs (or 37.4oz) in size 11, and the Danners are 53oz., with no size specified. Unless Danner is specifying the weight per shoe there can't be a 3lb. difference. If the Danners are, in fact, 3lbs. heavier, they're probably too heavy for normal backpacking.

I'm not sure either can be resoled. If so, either would require a special brand-specific sole, not like the old Vibrams that any shoe repair shop could replace.

I like the Keen Targhee (mid height)...about the same weight as the Salomons (my size 9.5 are 34oz.). They've been pretty durable, more so than the Lowa Renegades that they replaced. I did buy a new pair recently, but just because the originals are getting pretty old. They're still functional, though.

Trail runners are an attractive alternative. I'm wanting to go in that direction myself, I think. One experimental trip has left me undecided.

Wandering_Daisy suggested Superfeet insoles, but my experience with them was negative. I wore them for some years until my podiatrist clued me in to the fact that you don't need arch support unless you have problems with your arches. While using the Superfeet, I found that my arches ached unless I had them in. Once I stopped using them, my arches strengthened and I could walk all day without them. Still, I can see the possible need for some support if carrying a heavy pack long distances. And everyone's feet are different.