I don't have any plans to visit the Sierras, although I'd love to go there again. I've only been there once. We spent nine days there in 1980 on the east side of Kings Canyon NP. In at Taboose pass, over Mather Pass, past Palisades lakes, cross-county to Amphitheater Lake, then Dumbell lake, through Lake Basin, over Cartridge Pass, and back out Taboose Pass. Big adventure.

Rain is always a possibility here in Oregon, and Washington, too, of course. I recall getting snowed on in August in the Wallowas. I've been glad I had the rain pants many times, especially when day-hiking. I have homemade ones which are a few ounces lighter than the Marmot ones in my gear list. Still, for years I used a nylon poncho and never got very wet.

I went to Big5 today, as there's one near me. Looked at Crocs, almost bought but decided to wait. It seems like the ones with the velcro strap would be best...the regular ones seem pretty loose. I'm surprised you didn't find them slippery. My podiatrist is a big fan of Crocs, and has even backpacked in them, but said the traction was poor.

I have some REI Sahara (I think) pants which are almost 6oz. lighter than the MH pants, but I've never liked them because they're baggy. Tonight, however, I altered them and now they fit better. Maybe I'll give them a try. I mean, if I'm carrying the long johns anyway...

Thanks again for the help, BTW