Oregon Mouse

. Yes, there are plenty of bugs in Texas. The tarp i use actually has a bug net around the base that work pretty well but no bathrub floor. Can roll the polycro up on the bug netting which acts as a bath tub. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tarps/products/deschutes-plus
And on the Hayduke trail I know the areas very well in the southern Utah portion. Surprisingly there are quite a few spings but I would need to carry at least a gallon and plan to cache a lot of my water. I would be caching my food too. Not many places to buy food. Also I listed compass and maps. I have maps of most of southern Utah. I would also use caltopo to create additional maps I have a GPS but it is worthless in tight canyons and most of that trip is canyon hikes. I am pretty good with my map reading skills. I was a forward observer in the army. Also I will probably carry a locating beacon though

BZH.

My tarp came with Titanian shepherd hooks. I would have to use something different in Utah because of the sand. In Texas I carry a couple of extra MSR ground hogs. Also I listed tab which i meant were Iodine tabs. No extra light source. I probably would avoid hiking at night because of the terrain

Aimless

You are probably right. I started getting obsessed after I bought my tarp. My old base wasnt that bad. 13 pounds. I have friends that carry 30 pound bases. If I go any less I would start lossing a lot of comfort. I probably should stop where I am at