Originally Posted By mekineer
I don't use poles, and I don't use a stove, and I can get by without a knife. I actually have a small knife that disguises as a single key.

I guess the questionable? items I would bring are:
- folding mini scissors
- a saw composed of a single wire and plastic loops on the ends
- a multitool that folds to 2" long and has pliers and 4 screwdrivers
- small bic lighter
- a micro bottle opener
- a micro wine bottle opener

...but I could make due without all of these things, or buy something inexpensive on the other end. That would be my preference. Actually, my preference would be to do away with TSA bag check. But that's not up to me, unfortunately. If you travel internationally, they may have different opinions of what can and can't go. For example, a set of mini screwdrivers that was just the thing the official may have needed.

edit:
freeze dried food allowed: https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=freeze%20dried%20foods (I use the campfire method, or I can also soak during the day as I hike, if I'm desperate)

Food is fine; it's just liquids and gels. Almost everywhere I go, campfires are not permitted, so I do need the stove, which I do as a carryon with buying fuel at my destination.

Your list should be fine, except perhaps the saw as it might be viewed as a garrote. What is incongruent is that while small pocket knives are not permitted, scissors with up to 3" blades are. Many have a screw holding them together, which means you can readily unscrew them and have two knives longer than your little pocket knife.

If you do have a small knife disguised as a key, I would recommend not taking it in the cabin. If TSA finds it, they may consider that to be "artful concealment", which would cause you greater trouble.

As for the size of your pack, it can also depend on the airline. Certain ones will weigh and measure every carry-on. When I mentioned the size above, that was for mainline planes. Smaller ones may require you to gate check what would fit on that 737, for example. On the other hand, I am looking forward to my upcoming flight on an A380.