I certainly agree with your conclusions. The conditions I hike in are not nearly as severe as yours and a bombproof tent is very important to me. The peace of mind is worth the extra weight. You are not talking really heavy either. It probably is just converting to a mountaineering tent vs a typical lightweight backpack tent. I have gone lighter over the years, but stopped short of UL. I do admit that the cost of a UL tent has been a stumbling block.

Sorry, I aim to do more than just "survive". I prefer to maintain some level of comfort..

I think continuously bad weather is a bigger factor than any one night of bad weather. In the Sierra, I have been in very severe storms, but there were always windows of sunshine to dry out. In the Rockies, I have been in weeks of continuously wet/snowy weather and that is a different story. Also, most of my trips are above 10,000 feet and well above timberline.

Over time I have accumulated many tents, tarps and bivy sacks. I have yet to find ONE tent that does it all.