I'm a fair weather weekend backpacker, mostly fishing trips. Biggest trip was 7 nights in the Desolation Wilderness (sierra nevada). I'm not a through hiker. My old feet will allow me to hike 6miles a day at most with a 40lb pack, which I'd like to lighten up.

My shelter is an obvious place for me to drop weight.

I'm 6'2" and want a long tent for me, and possibly my big 110 liter pack. I'd like to get it under 3lbs. I currently have a heavy/rugged/roomy/cheap Alps Lynx2 at 6lbs.

This new tent would be pitched on pine needles, granite slabs, possibly sharp gravel. I discovered tyvek already, love it.

Looking for three seasons, occasional thunderstorm, and possibly hail that we randomly get in the Sierra Nevada summers.

I can spend possibly $400.

Since I already have a 6lb rugged/spacious 2P tent, I'd like something half that weight that gets me and my pack out of the rain. I'd really like a 1.5 person tent smile

Anything less than 88" is too short (that's the length of the Alps Lynx2, and I get a bit of condensation at the foot of my down bag from time to time).

I'm really not willing to commit to a hammock, the zpacks material looks too fragile to me. Other ultralight tents seem like they're more "film" than fabric. I'd prefer a bathtub bottom with higher than average walls for rain splash.

I'd prefer a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground, with a drip line that doesn't drip on the tent. Water dripping on to the edge of the tent would likely wick it's way between the floor and tyvek ground cloth. I know this sounds picky.

Single door, preferably side, one (and only one) vestibule. Rainbow door would work if I had to have it.

Having said all that, I'm really interested in your opinions and experience. You guys were a huge help with my tent choice for me and the Mrs last time.

My current research is this:

REI quarter dome 1p 2'10" 90(40/33)" $230
PRO: vertical side walls, high walls, reachable vent, price
CON: fragile, not freestanding, dripline on tent, asymetric

Big Agnes Cu Spur U1 2'8" 90(42/30)" $380
PRO: freestanding, high walls, fairly vertical walls
CON: fragile, dripline? expensive, pack wont fit in vestibule, price

Big Agnes Cu Spur U2 3'2"(3'4.6") 90(52/42)" $429
PRO: space, freestanding, high walls, fairly vertical walls, backpack fits
CON: fragile, heavy, dripline? expensive

Honorable mention:

MSR Freelite 2 (84" fail)
Fly Creek UL1 (86" fail, not fully free standing)
MSR Hubba NX (84" fail, 3'13")

Current tent:

Alps Lynx 2 (88" - six pounds!)

Edited by edfardos (08/01/16 06:17 PM)