As I've mentioned numerous times, I don't swallow the myth of "waterproof/breathable" (WPB), since I've tried several and found them neither breathable nor (after the first few weeks) waterproof. (The so-called "WP" under the pack's shoulder straps wears out really fast). I much prefer non-breathable and truly waterproof ("WP/non-B"?) rain wear. If it's cold, I don't sweat in it. If it's warm, I leave it off, wear very lightweight, fast-drying shirt and pants, and just get wet. I get a jacket that's way too big which allows for more ventilation for "in-between" conditions.

Quite a few seem to agree with me, including Andrew Skurka and "Section Hiker's" Phillip Werner (as well as some of our members here). A few days ago, "Section Hiker" published a review of the Lightheart Gear Rain Jacket, wbich may interest some of you. It's cheaper ($99) and lighter (7 oz.) than most WPB jackets, but has many features such as 15" lont pit zips, full-flap front zip, full brim hood, two good-sized inside (and therefore waterproof) pockets and two handwarmer pockets. It was seeing this review that inspired this post.

My own rain jacket is one of the very last "Brawny Gear" jackets made of silnylon (I had to seal the seams with Silnet, of course) which weighs about 4 oz. It unfortuntely is an anorak (pullover) but I got the largest size so there's plenty of room. In fact, it's roomy enough that I could add a front zipper if I wanted. In addition to being lightweight, it's also extremely compact when stuffed into my pack! I've been using it for 10 years and it's still plenty waterproof.

There are other lightweight WP/non-B rainwear items around, from such sources as Luke's Ultralight, Sierra Designs (the cagoule designed by Skurka), and AntiGravity Gear. These all have pit zips and front zippers and some are lighter than the one discussed above.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/08/16 03:52 PM)