Originally Posted By BZH
Nobody is recommending you buy a $600 tent. What people are recommending is that you add lightweight to your desired list of features. And I agree with Daisy in that you have a fine list of tents, I stand by what I said: I think you can do better.

Case in point:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-zenith-2-al-tent-2-person-3-season~p~1480d/?filterString=tents~d~228%2Fspecdataor~capacity!2%2F&colorFamily=03

4 lbs and $130

A pound won't kill you, but unless you put some energy into keeping your pack weight low it will balloon on you. You are less likely to have a good time backpacking if your pack is heavy and less likely to keep the sport up.

I've looked around some and it's become clear to me that finding a sub 3 lb, 2 person tent is entirely feasible while maintaining a reasonable budget. My original "$200 limit" was listed precisely because responses tend to suggest "well if you spend $50 more...". In reality I'm fine spending closer to $300 on a quality tent, but didn't want to have that followed up by responses of "well if you spend $400....".

Keeping my pack small and light is of high concern to me, more so after this thread. Indeed in life, not just backpacking, I'm realizing the joys and freedom afforded by a minimalist perspective more and more.

You were entirely right. I can do better.

Edited by NickVonMO (04/28/16 03:34 AM)