Originally Posted By BrRabbit
Originally Posted By NickVonMO

However, I hadn't even realized using tarps by themselves was a thing and at first glance it seems very appealing. I'm still inclined to use a tent, however, as it seems more reassuring should I find myself in a heavy storm. And believe me, I'm not the type who will shy away from a trip due to a thunderstorm.

Check this URL - http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/
With a hammock and a bigger "winter" tarp with doors... Man, you're protected in any downpour much better than you'd ever be in a tent. But, I honestly just want to offer you another perspective smile you make your own campsite.

This is an excellent article series! Thanks for sharing.

Really the primary reason I hadn't delved into the hammock route was the desire for comfortable sleeping next to a partner. Had planned on getting two bags which were able to zip together (anyone found good bags for this?). I just can't imagine being comfortable doing this when not laying on the ground. I'd love the hammock route for solo trips, but just can't justify buying both a solo hammock setup and a 2-person tent setup at this point.

Would rather just "suffer" carrying the extra weight of a two person tent when hiking solo to start.

Edited by NickVonMO (04/28/16 02:35 AM)