In the big picture, neither a pound up or down nor cost $100 up or down, is a critical issue. A $400 tent is not necessarily better than an $200 tent. Basically you are paying for lighter weight materials of similar or better quality.

All the brands below are reputable. MSR (and North Face) makes reliable, albeit, heavier high-end but very weather-worthy tents. Eureka is a reputable lower-end tent maker with heavier and cheaper tents that are still OK. Sierra Designs is very innovative, sometimes coming out with a wonderful tent but sometimes a flop. Big Agnes makes lots of models, most with duplicates- a pricy "UL" version and a heavier version that costs about half. Both have similar features. You are just paying for lighter weight. The British equivalent of Big Agnes is Terra Nova. REI makes very generic looking tents that somewhat copy the high-end design of other manufacturers. They too usually have a light/expensive version and heavier/cheaper version of some models. There is an equivalent company in the east (EMS??). MEC is the Canadian equivalent of REI. Cottage tent makers (only available on internet) offer more innovative designs, mostly focusing on lighter weight. These are Tarptent, Six Moons, etc. Hillberg (Swedish?) make high end, extremely sturdy (think use in harsh wind-swept tundra conditions) at extremely high prices in spite of the higher weights.

Shelter is one of the MOST important items backpacking. Regardless of weight or cost, if it does not protect you from the elements, it is not a good choice. And included in "elements" are bugs. As a person who the mosquitoes, ticks, etc. prefer, I would not go without a completely bug-proof shelter.

If the shelter makes backpacking unpleasant then it is not a good choice. Everyone has a different opinion of comfort. Most beginners do not have the skills/experience to be comfortable in many of the minimalist shelters available. Be aware that many "2-man" tents sold are exceptionally small and cramped. You really need to go to stores and try out tents. Ask to have the tent set up and then, with shoes off, both you and your girlfriend, get inside. Imagine how it would be to spend a day inside the tent when it is raining all day. Simple set-up is also better for beginners. Set up and take down the tent in the store. Try the zippers - do they catch? Can you zip with one hand? Is the tent door placed so that you do not get wet entering and exiting if it is raining?

As for single wall vs double wall; tent vs tarp, I would never tell someone that single wall is fine. I have had many nights tarps, single wall, double wall. I really do feel a beginner is better off with a bathtub floor. Even the experienced make mistakes and set up in poor drainage. More likely a beginner will do this.

As for all the "reviews" and recommendations out there on the internet. Be careful. Do not necessarily heed the recommendations of PCT, ACT, or other "light and fast" through hikers. These folks MUST have light gear in order to achieve the mileage. They are willing to "suffer" a bit and accustomed to minimalistic gear. With experience, what beginners see as "less comfort" or "suffering" is not that bad; but I do think this is not something you realize first night out or without more experience! I feel it is more important to not get immediately turned off to backpacking.

Be sure to include your girlfriend in the selection. Keep an eye out for sales. I think you are going in the right direction with the criteria you listed. Of course, after more experienced, you can focus on reducing weight with a more minimalistic shelter.

Listed prices are artificial- there are ALWAYS sales out there. Generally, last year's models are cheaper than the new models.

I think your criteria of bathtub floor, double wall, and vestibule space are just fine. Decide if you prefer free-standing or not. Independent pole set-up or trekking pole set-up.

Most of us are not using the tent we started with. The more important thing is to buy an adequate, but not necessarily idea tent and get started! The more you backpack, the more you will know what you really want.

Seriously re-think your cost limits. If a tent were $50 more, how could you come up with that $50? Perhaps, just eliminating a few dinners out, skip the Starbucks, a few less beers over a month's time. Most of us, even the "poor" can come up with this. If you find the ideal tent, only $50 more than your limit, do not eliminate it from consideration.