Hi there
I backpack often in the spring and fall where the nights can be 30-40 degrees. I'm a cold sleeper and have tried insulated pads, the current one being Big Agnes Double Stuffed Double Z pad, supposed rated at R5.9. (Have also used a variety of Therma Rest ultralight/insulated pads). None of them are warm enough.

I use a Katabatic Quilt to cover me (pure love!) but the weak link continues to be the pad. Seems like to matter what I do, I'm aware all night that the side of my body on the pad is chilly and I'm always flip flopping to avoid the chill.

So the basic question is: how to get a warmer sleeping surface? The pad with the next highest R rating I can see is one that has a rating of 11, but weighs 4 lbs - totally out of the question.

Today I was thinking maybe the trick would be to wrap the pad in a microfleece blanket (with hook and loop on the back so I don't have to cover the back with blanket).

Any ideas out there on whether sleeping on top of a blanket would substantially warm a guy up?

I have an extra ultralight down quilt, but I'm thinking that sleeping on top of that would just compress it and render it useless - I think any blanket you would sleep on top of has to have a bit of density to keep your body off the chilly pad.

Any/all thoughts are welcome!
Michael