It would be much easier to use a bear can if pack manufacturers would just design their packs with that in mind. I am in the market for a pack and want to carry the can horizontally and MOST packs in my size, will not accommodate this. Carrying the can vertically not only takes up most room, it distributes the weight in a way that adds a lever arm to the weight, and is so stiff that unless you have one of those large heavy packs with super back padding, you can feel the stiffness. Tying a loaded bear can on the top of an internal frame pack is difficult. My loaded Bearikade weighs up to 15 pounds, is very slick and difficult to tie down securely. Another method is to pack the food inside your pack in stuff sacks and tie the empty can on the top of the pack, then put the food back in the can when you get into camp. I can securely tie my bear can to the extension bar of my external frame Kelty.

Bottom line: Bear cans simply are not compatible with UL backpacking!

On the up side, bear cans are by far the easiest to use. Inevitably I hang my food and then discover I left out an item, have to take it down, re-hang. In my experience, opening and closing a bear can is a lot easier than tying the knots on an Ursack.

For larger groups, solar powered electric fences are another option. I recall that these weigh about 5-6 pounds. With a group of 6, group gear can be distributed so each person effectively only carries an extra pound.