eek The upside is that's the face a bear makes when they see it's a Garcia. Mine withstood some bruin soccer. It took very little time for the bear to abandon it. The good thing is I hadn't put many stickers on it, now, my decorations would be scratched up. Companies might stop sending free stickers if they knew such abuse took place! Consistency is good with park bears- Garcia = failure to acquire food for habituated bears. Clear canisters make it very convenient to see what's in them. Are bears (and other omnivorous critters) blind?
There has been cars broken into along the Blue Ridge Parkway . We camped on Mt. Mitchell on the North Carolina section a few days after a car was severely damaged by a bear. We also were visited and underwent a campsite inspection. Huffing and sniffing a few feet from your face is a little unnerving. We passed, but sleep became just a little harder to get.
In some situations, hanging is not going to be possible. Mt. Mitchell was one- you hung your food in the rafters of the restrooms that were built of stone with heavy doors. The forest is wind stunted hemlocks a cub could climb or pull over. I have the same situation in many places I go. For me, I don't want to have something a animal can get a grasp on. They'll spend more time and get more imprinted to human food sources; struggling with a problem they can sink their teeth into . One of the main reasons I've been drawn to wild areas all my life is the "wildlife" and I'll do all that I can to not bring further harm to them or their environment. Not to say sacks won't work, proper methods need to be employed, though. Unfortunately for bears, humans tend to be far lazier and seemingly dumb.

BZH already stated my philosophy very clearly, food protection is for the animals benefit, not so much ours. When confronted with the socio/religious argument of stewardship vs. dominion, I'll carry the extra weight. It's becoming increasingly obvious on many levels the majority of NPS biologists feel the same way. Leave No Trace includes how you effect the animals in their environment.

Edited by bluefish (03/28/16 10:38 AM)