There's a more extensive discussion in the Lite Gear section that dwindled out a few days ago. I imagine if there was a jacket that was well ventilated , truly breathed, had a DWR coating that did not wear out quickly, and kept you dry in all conditions, people would shell out (pun intended) the 600 clams (once again, pun intended) with no hesitation. Instead we see building clouds and ominous skies with a bit of foreboding. At least I do. I'll walk in pouring rain, but I'd rather not. You'll find in the other discussion that lots of us concluded that having dry gear for the end of the day in your shelter as being the key to comfort. I've run the gamut from garbage bags to Gore-Tex and have well passed the point of expecting to stay dry. I went up a ice clad mountain in Vt. about a month ago with crampons in pouring rain. My jacket failed and wetted out, but at least as long as I kept moving I stayed warm. It did hold in a little warmth and kept the wind at bay. It was just above freezing and as nasty a hike as I've had in awhile. No views as a reward, dangerous, and somewhat miserable. It went OK though, and that's what I've come to expect.