Are you implying that there are no trees where you backpack? Proper hanging works well if you have trees. My hanging system is a 50-foot length of parachute cord, one mini-biner, and I have sewn a small rip-stop bag with tabs to put a rock inside. I have never been very successful at tying a rock on the end of my cord that stays put for the numerous times it takes me to throw the line over a limb. I counter-balance and have a little hook on my trekking pole that helps me get it down. I consider my bear hanging cord as extra cord too. I cut some off if I need it for extra tent string, etc. I have also used the hanging cord to lower or raise my pack if I have to climb over short cliffs. Having extra cord is actually very handy.

The Ursack does weigh something - about 8 oz. The hanging gear weighs about 4-5 oz. My Bearikade weighs 1 lb 15 oz - effectively one and a half pounds when you consider I do not have to bring a food bag, hanging gear etc. A more difficult consideration with the bear can is carrying it. You just cannot get the weight distributed very well and it is stiff and hard. And it just does not fit well in a smaller pack. It is also expensive enough that I cannot afford to have multiple sizes so have only the Weekender. For all its faults, I tend to go with the bear can more often, even when not required, because it is just easier to use.