Hey Todd!

Most parks in TX don't allow for firearms as I understand it. But even if they did most are fairly crowded. Though I have a couple of large caliber handguns I'd not feel comfortable due to that as you are responsible for every projectile you send.

I have no qualms with anyone carrying a firearm IF they are much more than just familiar and safe. Most are not from what I've seen. Though my guns are Civil War era replicas that I shoot at the 15 yd range the majority of the people I see don't do nearly as well at the 7 yd range.

But being a good shot at a stationary piece of paper is nothing like the adrenaline dump of a critter meaning to chew on you. I've seen that I'm generally cool under pressure but I'm not sure how well I'd do with something running at me or someone else. That's a LOT of responsibility.

And then there is concealed carry which may be harder to employ in a hurry, especially with a pack or open carry and the way many people will behave and react.

We do have bear spray as we intended on going to Big Bend. But I do carry a Sabre pepper spray (they are rated fairly high) and a large pocket knife, and/or a large walking stick. The range of regular pepper sprays is maybe half as is the strength of it and size of the cloud so it's not as good as bear spray.

Were it allowed and the human population thinner I'd likely carry a pistol. I had a custom bullet mold maker make me a wide meplat heavy bullet for one of my pistols just for hogs as I hunt and may one day need to track one I wounded, which almost gaurantees an attack. Thankfully I've not been put in that situation.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day