I agree with Glenn, it makes no sense here in the east to place a backcountry campground far from a water source. It very well may be located several hundred yds. away for sanitary reasons and to discourage people bathing and dishwashi8ng in it, but probably there none the less. You may require a filter. Filtering water isn't a big chore, usually, and it saves carrying 10+ lbs. of water. I'll not suggest an amount to carry, as it has quite a few variables. but err on the side of caution if this truly is dry camping. Glenn's number is safe as a benchmark. I backpack into places where the campsites have no water, but use topo maps to find sources nearby, or along the way. Next weekend is an example. My wife and I will start our hike with about 40 oz. apiece, hike 12 miles with some stream crossings along the way (re-fill if needed) and fill up our 4 liter bag in a year round spring I've located 1/2 mile from where we will camp near a shelter. The second night is a loop done from that same campsite, so we'll use the same source, the day we return to our starting point, crosses several streams, so no great amount need be carried. I would contact whatever state agency controls where you want to camp and see what they say about water sources. If you can obtain a topo map, you'll be able to find where water sources are, even if you have to go a little bit out of the way. To me, it's part of the fun of backpacking to locate and acquire water. Too much in life is handed to us on a platter, a little adventure is grand, especially done with safety in mind.