Back to the original question, we need to convert, with all the religious fervor of a Jehovah's Witness, as many non-hiking heathens as we can find to our cause. Strength in numbers is how we can preserve the wilderness areas where we hike, no matter how "crowded" we perceive the trails become. Urban encroachment, non-wilderness uses (such as OHVs, dirt bikes, even mountain bikes) can lessen our hiking experience, invade our turf or even take it away from us.

I recently watched the documentary, "Mile...Mile and a Half," (available on Netflix) about five 30-Somethings who did the JMT. They were fairly novice backpackers (one who bailed on Day Three.) They all had some artistic expertise to record their journey. It's beautiful and humorous -- and fun to watch. No doubt their video journal will get many more hiker-wannabees out on the trail. And many of those viewers will give it a try, some to become avid hikers and some to do it only once before eventually putting the gear on craigs list. But I bet most of them vote pro-hiking or at least "green" for the rest of their lives.

Give me some pamphlets and send me out door-to-door!

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)