Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If your bag has a "lower limit" rating of 19*F (that seems awfully low if the "comfort" rating is 32*; the difference between the two is usually about 7-9*F), it was tested using a 1" thick foam pad with an R-value of about 5.0. Also the testing dummy wore a base layer and a knit cap. Some of these EN13537 ratings seem a bit iffy, although they are far superior to the ratings dreamed up by manufacturers' marketing departments.

You're right, it really does seem like a big difference, but that's right from the specs on the website.

From my own experience, I'd agree that your problem is the pad. Either you spend the money to get a pad with R value of 5 or above, or you keep adding pads (plus weight and bulk!) to get the total R value up to 5. Do some research and then consider waiting for REI's next 20% off coupon in March, which will help. In the meantime, also watch for sales at other outlets.

Thanks for the tip about the coupon! I will definitely save up my purchases even if it's not a pad.

I had the same issues some years back with a standard NeoAir...

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It seems that you, like me, are a cold sleeper.

Another interesting item I found out back then is that if, like me, you want your inflatable pad nice and squishy, underinflating it reduces the R value by about a point.

Oh, I didn't know that! I wouldn't say it was underinflated per se, but it wasn't super firm either. Another thought that popped into my head is I wonder if it makes any difference that I filled it with my breath rather than dry air?