I had planned to hike to the top of a local mountain but got a later start than I would have liked. There were also the one hour time change ("fall back") earlier that morning. Those two matters plus not carrying a light almost got me into big trouble.

I made it to the top of the peak with plenty of time to spare to get down well before sunset. Unfortunately I decided to hike along the ridge and take my time with lunch. Finally noting the position of the Sun I began to descend very quickly -- double timing it in some places.

Then I fell, breaking a trekking pole in the process. I was simply moving too fast and I was more focused on the time and not on the steep trail. I picked myself up (contusion the size of a thick wallet on my hip, cut shin and an elbow raspberry) and continued down as fast as I could.

I passed some people ascending and they gave me sort of a weird look -- which I ignored. Only later did I notice all the blood on my leg and arm. I made it to the trailhead OK but the fall and all the anxiety certainly had a negative impact on the hike. From this experience I shall:

- Begin a hike on time or before or I won't go. Setting a turnaround time would only make me hurry up and possibly down the mountain so that I could summit.

- Actually carry my cellphone rather than leave it in my truck.

- Add a headlamp to my permanent kit.

- Seek out some extra heavy duty trekking poles. Do they exist?