I would consider a dry bag (Z Packs has them) rather than a stuff sack for your sleeping bag. Stuff sacks do not have a watertight closure, and should you stumble while fording a stream (I understand there are some big ones to ford in Maine), your primary source of insulation will be kaput.

Or you can use a trash compactor bag (heavier than a garbage bag), using a candy-cane closure to keep it watertight. In either case, check daily for possible holes. It takes only a couple of seconds.

Another vote here for ditching the Crocs! I took them on one trip--that's the one where I stumbled and fell fording a stream in them--and took them to Goodwill as soon as I got home My camp shoes, when I take them, are Goose Feet booties with the waterproof overbooties, which weigh less than 1/3 as much as the Crocs. I consider them a luxury, and do without (just loosen up my trail runner laces in camp) if weight is critical. Another idea: non-skid shower slippers, about 2 oz.

Good luck with your hike!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/20/15 07:06 PM)